2015 Ryukoku Symposium
M. Editor | February 13, 2015
The Sixth International Ryukoku Symposium on Buddhism and Japanese Culture, co-hosted by the University of California, Berkeley Center for Japanese Studies and the Institute of Buddhist Studies, will be held on Saturday, March 21, 2015 from 9:am to 5 pm at the Jodo Shinshu Center, 2140 Durant Avenue, Berkeley, CA.
The symposium will be in two-parts. From 9 am to 12 pm, three papers will be presented in Japanese. The presenters and title of their papers are:
- Yukio Kusaka, Professor of Japanese Literature, Ryukoku University, Revaling the Teaching: Popular Sermons in Shin Buddhism.
- Sei Noro, Lecturer of Buddhist Studies, Ryukoku University, Doctrinal Debate in Kegon School.
- Jijun Yoshida, Adjunct Lecture of Buddhist Studies, Ryukoku University, Early Tendai Buddhist Disputes with Other Schools.
Following the break, the afternoon session will be in English form 2 pm to 5 pm. Presenters and title of their papers are:
- Takahiko Kameyama, Postdoctoroal Research Fellow, Institute of Buddhist Studies, The Significance of “Faith” in Medieval Shingon Buddhism.
- Tatsuo Florian Sailes, Graduate Student, Buddhist Studiess, UC Berkeley, The One or theThree, the One and the Three, and/or One and the Thee:Observation on the Relationship Between the Single Vehicle and the Three Vehicles in Medieval Japanese Hosso Thought.
- Mark Blum, Professor and Shinjo Ito Distinguished Chair in Japanese Studies, East Asian Languages and Cultures, UV Berkeley, Contexualizing Postumous Kaimyo Ritual in Japan: Indian and Chinese Precedents for Renaming the Dead.
The symposium is open the public and free of charge.
For more information contact: cJs-eventberkekey.edu or (510) 642-3415
“Until We Are All Free, None of Us Are Free”- Japanese-Americans Stand in Solidarity at Fort Sill
On July 20, hundreds of people from across the country, including over twenty Buddhist priest […]Read More
Meet Gesshin Greenwood, our new Chaplaincy Program Coordinator!
IBS would like to introduce our new Chaplaincy Program Coordinator, Gesshin Greenwood. Gesshin is a […]Read More
2019 Graduation and Commencement
On Friday, May 24, 2019, the faculty, trustees, students and friends of the Institute of […]Read More