The Institute of Buddhist Studies offers the following certificate programs which may be completed concurrently within a degree program to focus one’s studies and certify competence in a particular field of study, or may be completed as stand-alone programs (i.e., not completed as part of a degree program).
- Certificate in Shin Buddhist Studies
- Certificate in Sōtō Zen Buddhist Studies
- Certificate in Theravada Buddhist Studies
- Certificate in Buddhist Chaplaincy
- Certificate in Buddhism and Contemporary Psychology
Additionally, IBS offers an Online Certificate in Buddhist Studies as a stand-alone program or for students at the GTU and its member schools.
For students who are not currently enrolled in a degree program, the admissions requirements for all certificate programs are:
- Evidence (transcripts) of relevant prior study or coursework such as previous Buddhist Studies courses or a Bachelor’s degree (B.A.).
- Two letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant’s ability to do graduate-level work, familiarity with Buddhist thought and/or practice, and relevant prior study or experience. (One letter from supervising minister is recommended for the Certificate in Shin Buddhist Studies.)
- Statement of purpose (approximately 300-500 words) that includes (a) your reasons for pursuing graduate studies at IBS; (b) your specific academic interests and how they fit with the faculty and courses at IBS; (c) your personal or professional goals and how you see this certificate supporting them; (d) how your relevant academic background or prior experience prepares you for your proposed course of study at IBS.
- Non-refundable application fee: $15
Students admitted to a degree program who want to complete a concurrent certificate must petition for admittance into a certificate program. Please contact the Registrar for the applicable form.
|Program Name||Director||No. of required courses|
|Online Certificate in Buddhist Studies||Scott Mitchell||4|
|Certificate in Shin Buddhist Studies||David Matsumoto||8|
|Certificate in Sōtō Zen Studies||Daijaku Kinst||6|
|Certificate in Theravada Buddhist Studies||Scott Mitchell (and Diana Clark)||6|
|Certificate in Buddhist Chaplaincy||Daijaku Kinst||8|
|Certificate in Buddhism and Contemporary Psychology||Richard Payne||6|