Applying to IBS

How to Apply

1. Choose your program

Read about IBS’s degree and certificate programs and decide which one is right for you. While you’re there, be sure to review application requirements and deadlines.

Interested in the GTU Master of Arts in Buddhist Studies or the Certificate in Buddhist Chaplaincy? The GTU handles those applications, so you’ll need to visit their admissions page for forms and deadlines when you’re ready to apply.

Not ready to commit to a full degree or certificate program? You can also take an IBS course for credit as a special student or enroll as an auditor. Click here to learn more.

2. Reach out to us

All of our programs have a faculty director who can help answer questions about the program, and our Registrar and Director of Student Services is happy to assist with the application process and any technical questions you might have along the way. It might be a good idea to make contact via email as you start your application process.

3. Collect your application materials

Most applications require letters of recommendation, transcripts, a statement of purpose, and an application fee. It might take time to collect all of these materials, but once you do, you can upload most of them directly into the online application.

Be sure to read about the admissions process to get a better idea of what a successful application looks like.

4. Start your application

Use the form below to start your application. Enter your name and contact information, and be sure to select the program you are applying to from the “Application” drop-down menu. Once you click “submit,” you’ll be directed to the appropriate application on our student information site, Populi. You’ll receive an email from the Populi site with a link to your application so you can make changes or collect more information before submitting the complete application.

Remember, your application is not complete and it will not be reviewed until you have submitted the application fee, all required information, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

Please note: only the Certificates in Buddhist Studies, Shin Buddhist Studies, and Zen Buddhist Studies are online. All other students should expect to spend some time in residence in Berkeley. We cannot accept fully distance or online students into on-site programs. International students seeking a degree should apply to the GTU M.A. program. IBS cannot accept international students into the MABS or M.Div. degree programs.

The following form is not a general information form. If you have a question or require more information about IBS or its programs, please contact our offices directly before completing and application. The application fee is non-refundable.